Legal Consultation

Are you unsure whether you qualify to immigrate to Canada? Do you need advice on how to proceed?

A consultation will help you:

• Answer questions about Canada's immigration system
• Make a plan on how to proceed
• Determine if there are any legal, medical, or financial issues that could delay or block your ability to come to Canada
• Determine if Ronalee Carey Law is a good fit for your legal immigration needs

The consultation process allows the lawyer to:

• Evaluate your specific situation in detail
• Provide you with legal advice such as what options are available to you at this time
• Review the application process with you, including government processing times
• Provide you with a quote for legal fees once an application avenue is determined

Consultations are generally 45 minutes in length and held virtually via Teams. After the consultation, you will receive an email summarizing the information given during the appointment.

Our consultation fee is CAD 400 (plus taxes when applicable.) If you decide to have the firm assist with your application(s), this amount will be credited towards legal fees for the application preparation. 

Legal representation for your immigration application

In many cases, an initial consultation is not enough. Many clients will require legal representation to proceed with their immigration application(s). You may be too busy with professional responsibilities to handle your application yourself, or you may have serious health or legal issues that will result in the delay or denial of your application.

If you need professional legal representation, we have two payment options for you:

Block fees
We’ll handle your immigration matter from start to finish, with guidance throughout the entire process. We’ll provide you with an upfront cost before we start, so you’ll know exactly how much you need to pay. We will provide you with a flexible payment schedule so the entire fee doesn’t have to be paid upfront.

Hourly rates
If you only need limited support with your immigration application, it’s more cost-effective to pay for our services on an hourly basis. We’ll provide you with a detailed account of our time spent on various tasks.

We accept Visa and MasterCard.

Disbursement fees

In addition to our legal fees, you will be responsible for additional fees for disbursements such as photocopying and courier charges. These charges will be clearly described in your legal contract.

Application fees

The Canadian government collects application fees for processing immigration applications. These fees will be in addition to the fees we charge to assist you with your application.

Click here for a full list of government application fees.

Legal aid certificates

Legal Aid Ontario provides certificates for certain immigration matters.

Click here to find out if you qualify for legal aid.

Reduced rates for indigent clients who are ineligible for Legal Aid Ontario

In certain exceptional circumstances, we may offer reduced fees or pro bono legal services for individuals living in poverty. Priority shall be given to i) members of the LGBTQ community who have suffered persecution due to their sexual orientation or gender identity, ii) female clients who have suffered gender violence, and iii) families with Canadian-born children.

Legal Services

Our immigration law services are comprehensive. Whether you’re a trained professional, a student, a visitor, a family member of a current resident/citizen, or a refugee, we have the expertise that you need. We currently do not serve clients in French.

Visitor Visas, Work Permits, and Study Permits

We can help you come to Canada as a visitor, temporary worker, or student. If you want to invite someone to visit you in Canada, we can help you with your invitation letter. We help with post-graduate work permits and open work permits. Please note we do not assist with employer-specific work permits or LMIA applications.

Family Sponsorships

Canadian citizens and permanent residents living in Canada can apply to sponsor their spouses, dependent children, parents/grandparents, and in limited circumstances, other family members. We’ll help you understand your eligibility and tell you what to expect regarding application wait times.

Permanent Residence – Express Entry and Provincial Nomination Programs

Becoming a permanent resident will allow you to work and live in Canada. You will benefit from all that Canada has to offer, including world-class education for your children and healthcare for your whole family.

We can help you set up your Express Entry profile and apply for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), the Federal Skilled Trade Program (FSTP), or the Canadian Experience Class (CEC). We can also help you explore the various Provincial Nomination Programs (PNPs), and assist you with your application to the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP).

The new Express Entry program is highly competitive; we’ll ensure you’re maximizing your eligible points.


Canada’s Citizenship Act has undergone many changes in the last few years. We’ll show you how to take full advantage of the new streamlined application process.

Inadmissibility Issues

Canada has ‘admissibility’ criteria that designates who is allowed to come to Canada. You may be denied entry to the country if you are deemed a security risk, have committed a human rights violation, have a criminal record, or if you have serious financial or health problems. However, if you have been deemed inadmissible, you still have options.

Ask us how we can help.

Detention Review Hearings

If you or a loved one are currently being detained by the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA), we can help you through the detention review process.

Humanitarian and Compassionate Applications

If you do not meet the requirements for any of Canada’s immigration programs, we can help you ask the government to stay in Canada based on humanitarian and compassionate grounds.

Refugee claims from within Canada

We help clients who have come to Canada make refugee claims. Currently, we are restricting our intake to claims based on sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression and sex characteristics (SOGIESC).  


Please note: we can only help individuals who have already relocated to Canada. If you are living abroad and need help, please click here to learn about Canada’s Refugee and Humanitarian Resettlement Program.

 We do not assist with paperwork for Group of 5 Sponsorships. Please visit Groups of Five - Refugee Sponsorship Training Program (RSTP)


Find out whether you’re eligible to immigrate to Canada. Contact us today to set up a consultation.